Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Not know why

As you read at Ellison Snapshot, Dad finished his journey here in this life very abruptly Sunday, April 29th. We kids are dealing with our loss in our own different ways the best that we can. The platitudes and cliches have been heard and often found wanting, though we understand one's need to say those things for lack of knowing just what to say to express the feeling one feels when a friend or loved one is hurting. And that is why I appreciate those who tried to express their empathy in the best way they could think of doing. And then the week following I get to try to understand what life is like without someone who has always been there.

Understandably, we were both busy people who didn't call as often as we wished we could, much less saw each other as much as we desired. But thoughts and prayers for one another were constant. The life lessons Dad taught were ever present in my process of deciding how to live each part of my life. Thankfully those lessons will be remembered even without his reminders from life and word. And the desire to make him proud in what I do can still motivate me to do my best. It's funny how living a life for the glory of God often takes the very human face of pleasing Mom and Dad. Perhaps that will be the best and longest lasting tribute I can do for Dad.

Thought I would conclude with a couple thoughts gleaned from handwritten notes from friends who have experienced similar losses, if only because they at least encouraged me.

"It hurts to see family hurt, but our Father will not give His children more suffering than joy. And I look forward to rejoicing with you again."

"I understand not to try to understand, but we can rejoice that God is big enough so we don't need to understand."

"Jesus came not that we might not suffer, but that our suffering might be like His."

But one of the best encouragements was having my beloved siblings and family together. I treasure them.

See you later, Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home